The government currently provides additional funding to schools to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools.
The aim of this funding is to:
- Increase participation rates in such activities as games, dance, gymnastics, swimming and athletics.
- Increase and improve success in competitive school sports.
- Ensure an inclusive physical education curriculum.
- Ensure children experience a range of provisional and alternative sporting activities.
- Improve partnership work on physical education with other schools and other local partners.
- Increase links with other subjects that contribute to pupils’ overall achievement and their greater social, spiritual, moral and cultural skills.
- Ensure greater awareness amongst pupils about the dangers of obesity, smoking and other such activities that undermine pupils’ health.
Sports Premium Reports